Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Mirror Monarchy - Playing Dungeon World Play-by-Post!

Dungeon World's got me going and energized to run games, that's for certain. We're going to do some character creation this Saturday with my normal group, which has me excited. I couldn't wait though, and decided to recruit for my first game running a play-by-post style adventure. I recruited on Reddit but decided to use the play-by-post forums on RPG.net since it seemed easier than trying to create (and moderate) a special subreddit for the game.

Here's the link to the first thread. It's an OOC (Out Of Character) thread since we've only just started character generation, but I'm pretty excited to see how it works. I've only ever played a very little bit of PBP before, and never ran one, but I feel like Dungeon World might be a good match to try it out.

So far it's been pretty fun coming up with how to do character gen online. I'm doing my best to teach the game as we go through the steps since only one of my players has read/is familiar with DW. I've got players of all different levels of experience with role playing, but the consensus seems to be a lot of experience with D&D 3.5. I've never played 3.5 (only Star Wars Saga Edition and D&D 4th), but I think I got the jist enough of how to explain DW in comparison to it. I like DW as it's a light system with very little to actually keep track of (which is especially good since keeping track of lots of things feels more difficult in a game where I never see or hear my players.

I've decided to run the game in roughly the same setting as my game with my in-real-life friends. I've always, always, ALWAYS wanted to run more than one group through the same campaign world through different adventures, letting the two parties' efforts impact the world. This is even more interesting in DW where the players have such a big hand in building the setting.

Here's my thought: both groups are going to have an impact and establish aspects of the world, but what happens when two conflicting facts are established? I'm playing with the idea of having nothing set in stone until it's actually proven or shown for a group. What happens when the established fact conflicts with a setting aspect of the other group?

It means the non-established/proven fact may simply be a belief of most people of the setting that's not actually true, or alternatively, depending on how integral the false fact is, maybe it's changed over time and isn't true? These are the kinds of things that make me excited to run these games.

2 comments:

  1. There is also http://book.dwgazetteer.com/ the format there is html making it easier to read, also tehre is a pdf. I heard some say part of the rules might not be the latest evrsions though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I looked through it really briefly, and it appears that it may be the most up to date version as it includes the Druid (made for the Kickstarter version of the rules). I should really just be copying and pasting stuff out of that for my game for some examples when I need them, attributing it to the original link of course.

    ReplyDelete

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...